Responses to Responses [pdf]
Some Controversies in Editing
- Tues, 5/12, 10:00–11:00 am, 12:30–2:30: Drop-by conferences. No longer than ten minutes. I will only discuss passages that you have added to your essay since your last draft.
- Wed, 5/13, 11:00 am: Post e2d3 to Dropbox . At the same time, log on to the course evaluations site and evaluate this course. When I see that you’ve done so, I will send you back your grade for the essay and the course.
Responding to e1d2
In your writing groups: Please exchange drafts so that each author has their own piece with three sets of comments.
Writers: Read through the comments on your piece and make notes. Jot down three ideas you now have about revising your piece that you’d like to ask your readers about. At least one of these questions must respond to:
- Comments from two or more of your readers;
- An issue that concerns you, but that none of your readers has yet to mention.
When you’re ready, chat together as a group. Each writer should begin the discussion of their essay by asking their three questions/ideas. The readers should respond, and you can go from there.
Add, cut, change, move. Identify at least three points in your draft where you might make one of these moves in revision.
w4: Revising Plan
- Thurs, 3/19: No class! (Ironically, I need to go to a conference on teaching writing.)
- Fri, 3/20, 4:00 pm: Email me your revising plan (w4). I will reply by class on Tues, 3/24.
- Tues, 3/24, class: Read the guidelines for Essay 2 (e2). Come to class with full citations for two different texts that you might write about in your second essay.
- Wed, 3/25, and Thurs, 3/26: Conferences to talk about your work so far
- Mon, 4/06, 11:00 am: Post the final version of your first essay (e1d3) to Dropbox.
Turns in Summary (pdf)
Working With Woolf
The Bechdel Test
Chicago Style (pdf)
w4: Revising Plan
Thinking Towards e1d2
Review your w1, w2, or w3. Draw arrows showing where you’d like to add new text. Cross out sections you might want to cut. Mark passages you’d like to rework. Show your work to me as your exit ticket.
- Mon, 3/16, 11:00 am: Post e1d2 to your group folder on Dropbox.
- Tues, 3/17, class: Respond in writing to the drafts (e1d2s) of your group members. Print those drafts out with your comments. Bring them with you to class.
- Fri, 3/20, 11:00 am: Email me your revising plan (w4).